A spokesman for Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit has refused to confirm or deny rumours the venue could be lined up as an alternate destination for the last week of formula one testing early next month.
“As a policy, we never comment on rumour and speculation and have not commented at all in this instance,” he told us.
On Thursday, amid reports F1 will surely not be able to travel to Bahrain next month due to the unrest, a spokesman for the Circuit de Catalunya said the teams group FOTA “has asked us what dates we have available … but there is no formal request yet”.
It is believed that the Barcelona venue has answered that it is available for early March testing, or possibly even sooner.
“I spoke to the teams this afternoon,” said F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone late on Friday.
“What they wanted to know is what happens if the test doesn’t take place, suggesting maybe they will stay in Barcelona for another two or three days,” he confirmed.
Speaking on behalf of FOTA, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner admitted the body is “looking at some alternatives” to Bahrain in the event the test needs to be called off.
© RIF | GMM