Ferrari’s proposed tweaks to its F1 engine design were approved by the FIA ahead of the Spanish grand prix.
We reported last month that, after several engine problems for both the works team and its customer Sauber so far in 2010, the Italian team would ask permission to work on the design on the grounds of reliability.
It has been rumoured that the main problem was isolated to the area of the pneumatic valves and air consumption, with the remedy qualifying for an exemption from the engine development ‘freeze’.
Ferrari confirmed on Tuesday that it “requested and received authorisation from the FIA to make some changes within the framework of the current engine regulations and these modifications will be fitted to the engines to be used in Spain”.
Looking ahead to his home race in Barcelona this weekend, Ferrari-powered Pedro de la Rosa told Spain’s El Pais that he was confident the Maranello based marque was on top of the situation.
“I’m not worried at all, they’re going to fix it,” said the Sauber driver.