Rumours were swirling in the Monza paddock on Sunday, and the buzzword was ‘Wednesday’.
The big talking point was whether Kimi Raikkonen in fact agreed a 2014 deal to rejoin Ferrari next year on the Wednesday of last week, or whether the Italian team will announce it formally on the coming Wednesday.
Perhaps both are true. Perhaps neither.
Felipe Massa will be hoping the latter is true, but he admitted on Sunday that a cloud does hang over his formula one future.
“We’re still discussing it,” he said of his talks with Ferrari about next year.
“This race was important, not only for the contract with Ferrari but to show other teams what I’m able to do,” Massa, who finished fourth on Sunday, told the BBC.
Another driver hoping Ferrari’s 2014 deliberations involve him is Nico Hulkenberg, who had a sensational weekend at Monza for struggling Ferrari-powered Sauber — qualifying third and finishing fifth.
On the possibility of joining Ferrari, the German said: “It’s definitely something I wouldn’t deny which I’m definitely interested in — it’s a no-brainer.
“There has been lots of talk but at some point the talking has to stop and the decisions will be made,” added Hulkenberg.
© RIF | GMM