The new government of the German state Rhineland-Palatinate has reduced its support for the Nurburgring’s formula one race.
We reported last month that because the ruling SPD political party lost its absolute majority in the recent elections, the new green alliance had endangered the Nurburgring’s state funding.
“I have a problem if tax money is needed to ensure that more millions and billions are reaped in profits (by F1),” said Grunen party chief Daniel Kobler.
According to the latest reports from Germany, the new government has decided to limit its support to just two formula one races until 2016.
The Nurburgring is scheduled to host this year’s German grand prix in July, but according to the alternating deal with Hockenheim, the circuit was also due to stage the race in 2013 and 2015.
The plan for just two more F1 races by 2016 was confirmed on Friday by the new interior minister Roger Lewentz.
He said that beyond the new plan, he will start to negotiate about the future with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.
© RIF | GMM