Nico Rosberg has revealed that Mark Webber apologised after taking him out of the recent Korean grand prix.
A controversy was sparked after the Yeongam incident when Rosberg said he thought it was “crazy” Webber did not press the brakes after hitting the wall.
Those comments apparently motivated Gerhard Berger to opine on Red Bull-owned Austrian television Servus TV that Webber might have been trying to deliberately take out one of his championship rivals.
That controversy inevitably developed when the F1 circus convened at Interlagos on Thursday.
“He can have his opinion,” Webber is quoted by Kleine Zeitung newspaper, “but that’s ridiculous.”
French commentator Jean-Louis Moncet on Thursday revealed he spoke with Rosberg about the incident earlier this week in Brazil.
“He made a mistake, he knew he could be losing the title in that moment, he thought about something else … he came to me and apologised this afternoon,” the Mercedes driver answered, according to Moncet’s blog in Auto Plus.
“And I don’t blame him; that’s racing. End of story,” added Rosberg.
Webber, meanwhile, admitted he thought it was “sort of weird” that Berger’s comments were aired on a Red Bull-run TV channel.
Team boss Christian Horner commented: “What he said is not a Red Bull position, it’s not a team view, it’s purely a Gerhard Berger opinion.”
© RIF | GMM