F1 teams and the governing body are set to discuss Bahrain’s scheduled return to the 2012 calendar.
After this year’s event was cancelled, Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA scheduled for the race to return next April due to the Kingdom’s calming civil problems.
But those problems seem to have resurfaced in recent days, with the New York Times reporting that security forces clashed with protestors as recently as Friday.
“It’s always concerning with the media reports that you hear,” Red Bull team boss Christian Horner told the BBC. “But (we) trust in the promoter and FIA to deal with it accordingly.”
The Briton admitted the situation would “inevitably” be discussed at the next World Motor Sport Council meeting.
F1 chief executive Ecclestone was asked about Bahrain last week whilst on a trip to India.
“It’s surely in the racing schedule,” he told the DNA news agency. “It will not be different from previous years. We had one little hitch.
“I do not know if it is right or wrong, but we have it on the calendar for 2012,” added Ecclestone.
© RIF | GMM