Lotus’ potential switch to Renault power for 2011 might still be on, according to a media report.
Last week, we reported that the new Malaysian backed team will continue to use Cosworth engines next year, with boss Tony Fernandes saying the British supplier’s product has been “competitive enough” in 2010.
But owner Fernandes also said Lotus “received offers from several (other) companies”.
According to the BBC, Fernandes and technical boss Mike Gascoyne met with Renault before Sunday’s British grand prix.
A reunion with Renault would return the familiar ‘Lotus-Renault’ moniker to formula one, and it is also believed Lotus is in talks to use the fabled ‘Team Lotus’ name for its team in the future.
Asked to comment about Renault, Gascoyne said: “We have a contract with Cosworth and we’re discussing with them ways to work together in the future.”
It had also been rumoured that Williams was in talks for a Renault switch, but the British team confirmed at Silverstone that the FW33 will be powered by a Cosworth engine next year.
Asked about the Renault rumours, Cosworth’s F1 boss Mark Gallagher said: “Nonsense. We are in partnership with Williams to provide a car up with the best.”
© RIF | GMM