Vitaly Petrov’s future with the Renault team could be decided in less than two weeks, according to reports.
On Tuesday, team boss Eric Boullier played down speculation the Russian rookie is not yet under consideration for the 2011 seat alongside Robert Kubica.
He hinted that a plethora of drivers, including Kimi Raikkoen, Nick Heidfeld, Kamui Kobayashi, Heikki Kovalainen, Christian Klien, Adrian Sutil and Timo Glock, may already be in talks with Renault about next season.
“He (Petrov) has worked well so far, so we’re waiting to see how it evolves. Before the end of the season, I’m certain we will begin discussing plans for next year,” said Boullier.
But Finland’s Turun Sanomat suggests that D-day for the 25-year-old is fast approaching.
The report said Petrov has been given only until the summer break to prove he is up to the task of keeping up with Kubica in 2011.
After next Sunday’s Hungarian grand prix, formula one will pause for a break throughout August.
“I know that I still need to improve,” Petrov said on Tuesday.
“As always the first target is to be close to Robert’s pace. Then I need to qualify in the top ten and finish the race,” he added ahead of Hockenheim.
© RIF | GMM